Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Tough five year old questions

So my daughter looked at me from across the desk today. Her eyes a little worried. She asked hesitantly, "Mom when are you going to die? Like - in a long, long, long, long....really long time? like a nanny or poppy? I just don't understand...that."

Yes, my heart sunk. After I picked it off the floor and refused to let my tear ducts open, we had a really great talk. We talked about how some mommies and daddies live to be nannies and poppies. But some other mommies and daddies get to go to heaven a little sooner. She shared with me how her favorite place in the whole world is heaven. We talked about how when we die - whoever dies first will just be waiting up in heaven for the rest of us. That is where we get to go because we love Jesus and He is our Saviour.

Man - tough questions - ones that make me really want to cry. Why? Because every parent has to have some fear of leaving their children before it is time...before it is our time - it may be God's time though. I just pray for complete trust in God in that area. It doesn't come naturally:). I am thankful, however, that I KNOW we will be together in heaven because of the willful choice we have made to be forgiven of our sins and to live for Christ.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you and kevin must be doing a better job of parenting than you think. for your little one to be so vulnerable means you are doing some things really well. i will be praying for you that the vulnerability continues when she is a pre-teen, teen and young adult.

i think you handled the response well and i am sure there will be much more to come from the little ones. congrads on the new venture with mommyzabs. looks like you both found a real sweet spot in the markets for good christian christmas cards
matt gordon

Anne Marie said...

matt - you are so encouraging..thanks! le me know when you get a blog. i would love to read it - you have lots of good insight!