Saturday, July 7, 2007

The Blues

UPDATE MONDAY 9:00 PM: Grandma's surgery was about 2.5 hours and she made it through. The doctor's said things went well and she was a trooper. She is in major pain and on lots of drugs that are causing some unusual behavior - so now we need to pray for recovery and pain management...Thanks for your prayers!














I am sad tonight. Just sad. I am truly not a depressing person to be around - but I know I blog about sad things some times. I just can't handle when people are hurting. It is too much for me. It hurts when it is someone I don't know - and more when someone I am close to - and so much more when it is someone I love.

My grandma who is 86 fell yesterday and got a pretty bad hip fracture. On Monday she will be having a hip pinning surgery. It is no secret that hip fractures in elderly people are not positive events. In fact, most studies show that 25-30% of all elderly people who suffer one die within the year. Previous to the fall, my grandmother's mobility wasn't very good. She suffers from bad arthritis - has had knee replacements, has a fractured vertebrae, etc. It has been really hard to see her in so much pain, constantly. She tries to remain positive but the pain is so deep at times, she just cries. She also has some heart issues and is on blood thinners and none are good for surgery. Not to mention the fact that surgery has been a concern to her since her mother died in a routine surgery at a young age.

Grandma and Grandpa don't live around here - about 10 hours away, and due to some other pressing family issues, we can't go visit at this time. My mother is traveling the trip by herself for the third time in six weeks and is already exhausted. She has four siblings and all but one of them are in Ireland on a family trip. It is surreal for me - just thinking that this could be her time. God could be calling her home. When I talk to her tomorrow, do I act like she is just having a routine operation and things are good - I don't want to be emotional, and it would be hard not to be. Death is inevitable for all of us - once. For some it is freeing - freedom from the pain of this life and the pains in our earthly bodies. But is is separation and that is hard. My grandmother is so kind and unselfish - she always has been. I wish I could take away her pain and make her feel better. She has told me that she is ready when the Lord is ready to take her. Thankfully, she is God's and she loves Him. Her husband does not - and I will continue to pray for him. They just moved from the house they have lived in for over 40 years 2 weeks ago. They have moved to a retirement home. That is already a lot to lose...Getting older is really not easy for me to grasp. That sounds silly I know. I am fully aware that what matters in life is eternal not the temporal. If you have a quick second - will you pray for peace for her and us? Will you pray that God will lead my grandfather to Him? Thank you.

AM

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your Grandma's health - will keep her in my thoughts and prayers tonight and tomorrow. Safe travels to your mom as she heads over there. Stay strong...
Beth

mommy zabs said...

somehow in my hectic life I missed this post. Im sorry to hear about your grandma. I'm glad to hear that the surgery went well.