Monday, July 2, 2007

Parenting

I was in a Bible Study this year that was very different than any other I have participated in. There were a lot of rules. So many rules that I had declined the invitation for a few years prior to this one. I don't not like rules - I am a first child. I kind of like them to be honest. However, in this type of a setting, I am not extremely comfortable with restrictions on how to learn about and worship God and how to share that with others around me. Consequently, throughout the year I was able to see the purpose behind many of the rules. Over all, they allowed our learning to be maximized and the ultimate goal to be accomplished - glorifying God, learning from His Word, spending time with Him, fellowship, etc. I still don't like all of the rules - but I can at least appreciate them and see the difference they make.

When I was a teacher, I started off understanding the importance of rules, routines and discipline, but I didn't know exactly how to teach and enforce them. Teaching became much more enjoyable and less stressful once I improved in that area. And no - the kids didn't start not-liking me...Rather I think we gained a mutual respect for each other.

So, on to parenting. My husband and I are not really push-overs and we believe in discipline. Willful disobedience and disrespect are two non-tolerable offenses. BUT there are many areas of parenting that I think we have let slide. It is hard to find a balance between having fun and enjoying each other and using good manners or being civilized. For example, when we go shopping, I like for the kids to be able to look at things and try them out. That is what I do when I want to think about getting something new. Some parents won't let their kids touch anything. Now (thanks to me), shopping at times can be unbearable. The kids don't stay by my side, they were climbing in the tubs and toilets at Lowes, etc. I wonder - should I have serious rules and tell them they have to stand right by my side and not touch anything (that would be safer). But what about when we are trying to kill time and I want them to look at the toys. What about when we eat dinner at home or in a restaurant? Should they be forced to sit perfectly still (if that is possible - with some kids I don't think it is at a young age)? Should they use proper manners and not be silly or not play with their food? If so, can you ever break the rule? My Bible Study's rules only work because they are enforced 100% of the time. IT is hard to have a conversation at the dinner table with a 3 year old and 5 year old. They want to dip their food in their drinks and make funny noises, etc.

I have often thought we should take one day a week to practice scenarios. We all have better chances of succeeding in a task if we know the expectations first and have been able to practice. Let's take shopping for example - we practice at home first - then go to the store. They have to stay by my side and can't touch anything. They have to obey everything I say. I could score them as we went along (a star every time they follow the rules) - That sounds a little bit like dog training:) actually...I honestly don't know the answer. I want to have fun and let them be kids - but I want them to be respectful and responsible to.

Any ideas?

2 comments:

mommy zabs said...

I think (totally my own opinion) that sometimes when we get into the nitty gritty details of rules instead of teaching the heart that the point can be lost. Fold your heand here, don't do this there... Just like when the value of modesty is not encouraged as much as whether your hemline is to the top of your knee or a millimeter shorter when you sit. We can get caught up in the arguement of the situation. God looks at our hearts.

However, obviously with children more specifics are encouraged because they need understanding of boundaries... and don't handle abstract concepts as well...

But if in all your rules there are some guiding principles as they get older they will have more understanding of the purpose behind rules rather than measureing up to legalism.

Like for instance... Teaching our children that we are to always show respect to others. So that when we are in a store situation they lean (are taught) that these items do not belong to us so until we can learn to handle them properly we shouldn't touch them.

Also that what mom and dad says go. You are the one that understands if you are in a toy store and encouraged to play with an item or if you are in Lowes and climbing on toilets is discouraged. Above all they should do what you tell them.

I don't know. It seems easier for kids to be re-inforced on concepts than a long list of rules... and then encourage discussion about "is jumping on the toilet respectful of other peoples property?" I think it teaches them how to reason and evaluate which will serve them well when encountered with situations they weren't practiced on.

Role play comes into this as well. Do different situations and ask if them what they feel would put others first in a situation.

Just my thoughts :) I know you are an excellent mom.

Anne Marie said...

ELizabeth -
Thanks for your point of view. I couldn't verbalize how I felt - but you nailed it! Good reminder to me...