Sunday, September 16, 2007

Fear of Failure

Fearing Failure - This is a topic that is near and dear to my heart. Ever since I was in middle school and probably younger, I have feared failure. Or maybe it would make more sense to say that I have feared letting people down (I am a die hard people-pleaser) and that is what I consider to be failure. Do you know that I have never danced at a wedding b/c I am so afraid of what people will think that it makes me feel sick?

We are going to fail. We are going to disappoint people - it is inevitable. So, for me - it is crucial to not seek other people's approval as my main goal. I am completely imperfect. I cannot keep everyone happy. And I do mess up - This week I had quite a humbling experience which has just driven home the fact that I am going to fail. No matter what my intentions or what my effort - it is humanly impossible for me to not fail.

So how do we live daily knowing we are going to screw up? FOCUS ON CHRIST. Seek to please Him in all that we do. (Colossians 3:23-24 - "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men...It is the Lord Christ you are serving".) He has already forgiven us and continues to - daily, moment by moment ( Psalm 103:12 "As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us." ). He knows we aren't perfect. He will give us strength and He will extend grace and mercy. Focus on those truths - and bathe in His unconditional love for you.

No comments: