Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Books & getting away from it all...


...even if for only 15 minutes at a time.

I am really enjoying reading!!! Prior to this summer, the only things I have read in the past fifteen years include parenting how-to books, Christian living, devotional books, the Bible, kids books, etc. I can't tell you how many I have started and haven't finished. Ughhh.. I cannot stay focused!!!

On a relaxing vacation this past summer, I decided to try reading a fiction book. I finished two in three days. My favorite was Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. Wow - it made me fall in love with God all over again! (which I should be doing daily anyhow) It is a vivid portrayal of how deep and tender - how persistent and unconditional God's love is. I felt changed just by reading it and getting to know and love the characters. I was so sad when I finished! In fact, I am sure I will read it again - except I may use the study guide (Bible study) with it next time.

Most recently I have been reading the O'Malley series by Dee Henderson. Danger in the Shadows is a prequel and I think I am on book four of the actual series. The characters are heroic, yet real and I enjoy the way the family plays out throughout all of the books. In each book, the characters are faced with some part of God's character or Christianity - God's grace and mercy...justice...prayer, etc. The books are suspenseful and romantic - and a nice way to take a mental vacation from life!!

Speaking of books, I met a neat girl this past year who has released two of her own - Her name is Marla Taviano and her books are titled From Blushing Bride to Wedded Wife and Is That All He Thinks About? (about s-e-x) Both are written in an easy to read style - very similar to the The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy - type books. I laughed quite a lot and read them both in a few short days.

ALSO - thanks to Elizabeth Jackson, Jim Hicks, and Mike Colon for adding the Thirst Badge to their websites/blogs. I KNOW we can get more than 4 donations:).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You KNOW I love to read as well! How sweet to put a link to Marla. I love your blog...Colleen

mommy zabs said...

several of my aunts have read that book and go on and on about it! Of course i'm in the middle of 5 right now so may not be till summer till i get to it.! :)

Anonymous said...

I love to read - thanks for the book recs, just requested them from our library. Your blog is great...