Saturday, March 3, 2007

Put into perspective. Again.


I am tired, and sore. Great workout yesterday, but I am feeling it today. As far as the tired part, our house is more out of control then normal. We are remodeling part of our kitchen and it is all over the house, furniture is not in the right place, utensils are everywhere, can you say clutter? And do you know how hard it is to change the sheets when your kids are jumping on the bed? So, I don't feel like doing anything but being lazy.

Every time I turn on the TV, I feel like I am being followed. Followed by the latest tragedies - today it is the horrible Bluffton baseball team bus accident and the tornado that ripped through the High School in Alabama. They both don't seem like something that actually happened. Rather they feel like a storyline for a movie or book. It couldn't possibly be true that someone had to live through that, could it? These remind me of some other vivid tragedies. You know, the kind where you can remember exactly where you were when they happened - like the tragic events of 9-11, or the shooting at Columbine, or the space shuttle Challenger exploding in the air...just to name a few. I can't imagine how it must feel to be in the midst of a crisis like that - or even dealing with a family illness or some other type of disheartening event or circumstance.

So often people wonder how could there possibly be a God if bad stuff like this happens...and lots of bad stuff does happen. I don't pretend to know God's thoughts - but I know God. And I hold tight to what I know as truth...
  • God is good (Rom 12:2, Luke 18:19, Phil 2:13...)
  • He is sovereign and has a plan (Jer 19:11, Ps. 115:3, Matt 19:26)
  • He will never leave us (Deut. 31:6)
  • I need to trust Him even though I can't possibly understand His holy ways (Is 55:8-9, Prov 3:5-6)
  • Nothing can separate us from the love of Christ (Romans 8:37-39)
  • Ultimately I will be in heaven - a place much better than here - because of God's sacrifice of His Son Jesus for me...by grace through faith (John 3:16, Eph 2:8-9, I Cor. 15:2-6,
Yes - there is a lot more truth. I know. But those are just a few things that keep me grounded when horrible, sinful things happen. Today on the radio I heard the song Praise You in the Storm by Casting Crowns. It isn't a new song, but sometimes the lyrics of a song seem to jump out at me and grab me in a way I haven't noticed or really heard before. Here is the chorus:
And I'll praise you in this storm
and I will lift my hands
for You are who You are
no matter where I am
and every tear I've cried
You hold in your hand
You never left my side
and though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm
Do you think you could really praise Him in the storm - What if you had a loved one who was killed on that bus - or maybe you have lost a loved one recently...or at any time. Could you praise Him in the storm? Another song that really gets me to think is I Still Believe by Jeremy Camp. Here are a few lyrics - written by him after losing his young wife.
Scattered words and empty thoughts
seem to pour from my heart
I've never felt so torn before
seems I don't know where to start
but it's now that I feel Your grace falls like rain
from every fingertip, washing away my pain

[Chorus:]
I still believe in Your faithfulness
I still believe in Your truth
I still believe in Your holy word
even when I don't see, I still believe

Though the questions still fog up my mind
with promises I still seem to bear
even when answers slowly unwind
it's my heart I see You prepare
but its now that I feel Your grace fall like rain
from every finger tip, washing away my pain


I could go on and on. God is good. He is faithful. He is trustworthy. And I hate that I have to see tragic events sometimes to have my piddly problems put into perspective. I am grateful for His grace and mercy and that they never end. Lamentations 3:22 says:
Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.
I will continue to pray for the Bluffton families and the tornado victim's families as well.

1 comment:

mommy zabs said...

thanks for the encouragement. I have cried through that jeremy camp song many times. you know his story right?