Sunday, April 29, 2007

Fashion Panic

This describes me yesterday! Some people just have no idea what I am talking about - fashion is second nature to them. I feel confident about the gym, working out, artsy things, teaching - but not shopping. It is not enjoyable - it is ulcer causing and I try to avoid it unless necessary.

My husband and I were chaperoning a high school prom-type event. I thought I would run out and pick something from this decade to wear. I don't buy many clothes - especially for myself. In fact, I don't enjoy shopping at all. I have no money and no style - so shopping is extremely stressful. Anyhow, I walk into several stores and my mind is SPINNING! I can't even tell if some of the things I am seeing are tops or skirts...honestly - they are either strapless long shirts, or skirts? Someone please help! Who can I call? I tried my sister-in-law...she didn't answer. She is thrifty and stylish. I call another friend who will be at the prom too - she gives me some ideas, but I can't figure out what exactly she is describing, plus everything is like a size 4 - not what I am. So, I start sweating, pick up somethings -WHERE ARE THE MANIKINS??? They at least can give me some ideas - show me how to put things together! I am a visual learner - is there a catalog? I try several things on - lumpy, hanging off, too much of me showing, oh I don't know, is this cute? I don't even know if these match! I end up shopping for a few hours, coming home empty handed and wearing something old anyway. It doesn't zip all the way up and I have to pull it up way too high. Yes - I know you don't care - but it feels good to ramble ...or as my friend would call it "sharing mental vomit." The positive - I don't spend much money on clothes at all! :)

2 comments:

mommy zabs said...

Yes, i do want to hear. Please feel free anytime you need something nice to wear somewhere. you are more than welcome to wear any of my dresses and they come in a range of sizes!

Anonymous said...

You make me laugh...I am the same way! I just recently went shopping and came home without anything - Mike told me to go back and not come home until I made a purchase! It definitely makes special events rough to dress for, but at least it's a great way to save $$....

Beth