Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Trichotillomania


Ever heard of it? (Trichotillomania) My 2.5 year old daughter, Megan, has it. She has for a while, but I never really researched it or counted it as something "real." It is a condition that causes people to pull their hair out. Sounds like a habit doesn't it? It really has some chemical connections with the brain, etc. I feel badly for her. She gets different bald spots - and at first when the doctor told me "She might grow out of it" I thought he was crazy. What teenage girl pulls her hair out? Apparently, lots of them if they have this problem and it is really distressing for them. Anyhow, here are some pictures of her hair...we tried a crew cut so she couldn't pull...didn't work. We have taped her fingers together, had her wear a swim hat, and put gloves on her...none worked. We just pray she will grow out of it. She is still cute - even somewhat balding:). Here is a scrapbook page I did about it a few months ago. Don't get me wrong - of all the diseases a kid could have, this is certainly not the worst!

1 comment:

mommy zabs said...

I had no idea. i do know someone with this, but did not know it was something people did since they were babies. wow. Bless her heart.