Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Pray for strength

First let me apologize for my last post - my kids are really trying to stay up late and my husband had been gone for 4 nights and I was just tired....

I have it good. If tired is the worst it gets - I know I have it really good. In fact, I feel guilty sometimes that it is good. We have healthy children and haven't had any serious issues. I know that can change at any moment - but as I have said before, now is good. There is a family we know who is struggling through a rough time. I hesitate to say struggle, because considering the situation, they are doing pretty well. This husband and wife have a five year old daughter, 22 month old son, and a nine week old daughter. They had another daughter too who died when she was 21 months. The doctors thought she had an ear infection and in a matter of hours she was paralyzed and unable to breath again on her own. She died shortly after. The condition she had was one that less than a handful of young people have ever had (like 1 in a million odds). Their nine week old baby was born with a disease called Treacher Collins Syndrome. This is something that can't really be seen on an ultrasound, so they were expecting their little baby girl to be completely healthy. It is something 1 in 10,000 people are born with. Their baby is at home now with a GI tube, traech (is that how you spell it?) and hearing aid. She is doing well considering. They need a nurse 16 hours per day but are having trouble finding one even from 8-4 during the week. I can't imagine having to go through one horrific situation like that - nonetheless two. They are doing their best to focus on getting through each and every day - looking past that is even more tiring. Thankfully, their family and Church is very supportive and they have an unwavering faith that God is control and see them through.

It is such a helpless feeling to watch someone you care for have suffer. We think that there has to be something we can do to help. Anyway, if you think of them today, please pray. The mom and dad's names are Alissa and Brad.

1 comment:

mommy zabs said...

I'm so sad to hear about that.
Owen has an ear infection now... and we went back in today and it is no better. and now he has an infected stye in his eye so we are on a diff. round of anti-b's. Now i'm paranoid its more. I just need to stop and be thankful!