Monday, June 18, 2007

Is there

something you always wanted to be (career-wise) but didn't? I would have loved to be a doctor....but Kevin and I were destined to be married fairly young and I didn't want to have to wait to start a family until I was in my thirties after all of that schooling. I actually majored in pre Physical Therapy first, but didn't get accepted after 200 hours of volunteer work. I changed my major to education and changed schools two times. God is good. God has a plan. Teaching was definitely where he wanted me. I got a teaching job where I student-taught...wasn't where I wanted to be originally - but God knew. I made life-long friends. I learned from amazing mentor teachers and mentor people. People who didn't have it easy - but "made lemonade from lemons." I prayed with parents, cried with parents, celebrated with parents. I enjoyed amazing times like the first time a ten year old had ever spoken outloud in school - in my class. I learned from my principal who did what was right - even when it wasn't easy...because it was right. If I could hand pick people (other than Kevin and I) to teach and mentor my children, I couldn't have picked better people. See, in reality - the technology, the buildings, the playgrounds, the extra stuff - it doesn't matter the most...It is the people and what is inside of them that matters. Working there was one of the many blessings I had.

As far as things I would like to do that I haven't - career-wise - I am still very interested in the medical field. I am so intrigued by the human body. I love information and processing information and sharing it with others. (Hence the time I spend researching and learning on the Internet) Maybe I could combine my love for medicine with educating...hmmmm - some type of medical counselor relaying info to patients. Who knows? Life on earth isn't that long, and I need to remember that the most important "jobs" I have now are raising our two beautiful children and ministering to my husband and others. And "in whatever I do, I need to work wholeheartedly working for the Lord not men."

Okay - and let me give a shout out (did I just say that? I sound like a teenager!) to my good friend Sara in Canada!!! Sara - That is a very interesting thought. I really like this spontaneous discussion we are having! :)

3 comments:

mommy zabs said...

OH my goodness. so many lifetimes full of carreers i would have desired. but God knows the paths we are to take :)

- Work for the government dealing with nations spiritually oppressing people.
-trail lawyer
-news commentator
-quality standards checks in 3rd world contry factories to make sure they aren't "sweat shops"
-business/finance
-professor
-guidance counselor
.... i'm sure the list goes on. I may take this as a meme and use it as well (and link back to you) great idea.

Anne Marie said...

Liz -

you would be good at ALL of those things...maybe later on in life!!:)

Anonymous said...

My ideal careers would have been:
** travel guidebook author - so I could travel to exotic places and get paid to do it!
** food page columnist/editor - since I love to cook and eat
** US Senator - but I may just settle for someday running for our town's council
I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones I think about most often. However, my favorite job right now is being a mommy!

Beth